How to Setup and Use RedLaser
(Thanks to ScoutPal subscriber Roy Jackson at
The Book Broker.)
Although it is inexpensive (currently $1.99), the RedLaser app will require
two touches to scan successive items: press home, then touch the redlaser
app icon and you are scanning again.
Of course, the first thing you will need to do is subscribe
to Scoutpal, if you haven't done so already. (You can start with the
Free Trial.) Then browse to ie.scoutpal.com on your phone and use
it to do a few ScoutPal lookups by "punching in" the ISBN/UPC using the phone's
To "scan in" bar codes using the iPhone's camera, go to the iPhone's app
store and download a bar code reader app called RedLaser by Occipital. The
app is $1.99. (If you have an older iPhone, you should refer to RedLaser's
site at http://redlaser.com/ for information regarding earlier iPhone compatibility.)
Keep in mind that any camera-based "scanner" app is not really a true laser
bar code scanner. Instead, it literally takes a photograph of the bar code,
so the process will be like taking any other sort of snapshot: there must
be good lighting, no shadows, and you will need to hold steady and get the
subject into focus. It will take some practice to learn how to use the app.
After installing the RedLaser app on the iPhone, follow these configuration
- On your iPhone (or your computer) browse to
- Login to scoutpal.com and click on "Additional Service Addresses". Copy
the "direct-lookup URL" that you will see displayed at the bottom.
- Next, you will configure your Redlaser app to work with the Scoutpal
direct-lookup URL on the iPhone. Using the Safari browser on the iPhone,
browse to: http://www.redlaser.com/apps
- Enter "SCOUTPAL" into the Name field.
- Enter the direct-lookup URL that you received from ScoutPal into the
- Enter the single letter "i" into the Param
- To have a custom icon for ScoutPal on your iphone, enter
into the Icon URL field. This will give you the scoutpal icon
which is very helpful when looking at a page full of buttons on your iPhone.
- Scroll to the bottom of the RedLaser web page, and tap the "Build App"
- Click "+" at the bottom center of the page then click "add to home screen"
and the app's icon should appear in an empty space on your iPhone home screen,
as illustrated here:
Run the app, "scan" the bar code, and you will see a result similar to
If there is no bar code on the book you wish to lookup, simply type in
an ISBN or UPC into the search field at the top of the results screen.
To scan successive items: press home, then touch the redlaser app icon
and you are scanning again.